Every living person needs sleep. It can be either human or animal, all of us need sleep as part of life conditions. However, most importantly children need more sleep time due to its fast growth and development. It is also crucial as it involved in the primary activity of the brain during early development. By the age of two, most children have spent more time asleep than awake and overall, children will spend 40% of their childhood asleep. Sleep possess directly impact towards children mental and physical development.
It is estimated that children should sleep for approximately 50% of the day. This is essential to the development of a child behaviors, memory and social skills nature.
Sleep studies show that if a child is sleep deprived, they may not develop and learn to their full potential and physical health. Parents must ensure that children get the correct amount of sleep to keep their development isn’t not affected.
How lack of sleep can affect children
- If a child is sleep deprived, it generally tend to affect his/her behavior as it will change from the norm.
- They can often become moody, irritable and prone to tantrum
- Children who does not have enough sleep will generally be unhappy and exhibit severe depression
- It can lead to health problems in children because sleep allows the body to recharge from the activities of the day
- Children are constantly active, either it be physical or mentally and is one of the main reasons why children need more sleep than adults because they are learning new things all the time.
- Lack of sleep can cause low immune system which can be highly dangerous to children as they are at higher risk of illness and disease.
So, happy parenting everyone!